1. Research different types of non-profit organizations structure.
2. Create the name of your non-profit.
3. Contact the IRS (Internal Revenue Service) to apply for the EIN (Employee Identification Number) and 501 3c non-profit organization application. Contact the IRS (800-829-3676 or 800-829-1040).
4. Create your mission, vision, and goals statements.
5. Research and recruit board of directors who are 18 years and older and the State of Georgia Secretary of State office for registration fees. Contact information: www.sos.georgia.gov or (404) 656-2817.
6. Define your purpose and create the bylaws. Research and review bylaws of other non-profits organizations. Hold an initial board meeting; present bylaws.
7. Research bank and financial institution to compare services and rates for non-profit organization.
8. Incorporate as a nonprofit corporation: Nonprofit corporations are formed in Georgia by filing with the Corporations Division of the Office of Secretary of State. The filing is called the Articles of Corporation. Many filings of articles of incorporation are completed within five to seven business days of receipt by the Division. Contact information: www.sos.georgia.gov or (404) 656-2817.
9. Register your non-profit organization with the Georgia Department of Revenue at www.gtc.dor.ga.Gov.
10. Apply for a Charitable Solicitation License through the Georgia Secretary of State at www.sos.georgia.gov or (404) 656-2817.