Surprise, surprise. The Houston Astros had the number one selection overall in the 2012 MLB draft and shocked many experts by taking shortstop Carlos Correa from Puerto Rico. Correa is just 17 years old, but the Astros obviously think highly of the youngster.
Many experts thought outfielder Byron Buxton or pitcher Mark Appel would be selected at No.1, but Houston went a different direction.
Buxton, who experts compare to a young Matt Kemp and Bo Jackson, went second in the draft to the Minnesota Twins. Appel, who many thought was a top three pick, slid down to number eight going to the Pittsburgh Pirates.
The beauty of the MLB draft is that there are so many youngsters chosen that there always seems to be several diamonds in the rough in the late rounds.
Here is a look at the complete first round selections of the 2012 MLB draft.
- 1. Houston Astros — Carlos Correa: SS, Puerto Rico Baseball Academy
- 2. Minnesota Twins — Byron Buxton: OF, Appling County (Ga.) HS
- 3. Seattle Mariners — Mike Zunino: C, Florida
- 4. Baltimore Orioles — Kevin Gausman: RHP, Louisiana State
- 5. Kansas City Royals — Kyle Zimmer: RHP, San Francisco
- 6. Chicago Cubs — Albert Almora: OF, Mater Academy (Fla.) HS
- 7. San Diego Padres — Max Fried: LHP, Harvard-Westlake (Calif.) HS
- 8. Pittsburgh Pirates — Mark Appel: RHP, Stanford
- 9. Miami Marlins — Andrew Heaney: LHP, Oklahoma State
- 10. Colorado Rockies — David Dahl: OF, Oak Mountain (Ala.) HS
- 11. Oakland A’s — Addison Russell: SS, Pace (Fla.) HS
- 12. New York Mets — Gavin Cecchini: SS, Barbe (La.) HS
- 13. Chicago White Sox — Courtney Hawkins: OF, Carroll (Texas) HS
- 14. Cincinnati Reds — Nick Travieso: RHP, Archbishop McCarthy (Fla.) HS
- 15. Cleveland Indians — Tyler Naquin: OF, Texas A&M
- 16. Washington Nationals — Lucas Giolito: RHP, Harvard Westlake (Calif.) HS
- 17. Toronto Blue Jays — D.J. Davis: OF, Wiggins (Miss.) HS
- 18. Los Angeles Dodgers — Corey Seager: 3B, Northwest Cabarrus (N.C.) HS
- 19. St. Louis Cardinals (from Angels for Albert Pujols) — Michael Wacha: RHP, Texas A&M
- 20. San Francisco Giants — Chirs Stratton: RHP, Mississippi State
- 21. Atlanta Braves — Lucas Sims: RHP, Brookwood (Ga.) HS
- 22. Toronto Blue Jays — Marcus Stroman: RHP, Duke
- 23. ST. Louis Cardinals — James Ramsey: OF, Florida State
- 24. Boston Red Sox — Deven Marrero: SS, Arizona State
- 25. Tampa Bay Rays — Richie Shaffer: 3B, Clemson
- 26. Arizona Diamondbacks — Stryker Trahan: C, Acadiana (La.) HS
- 27. Milwaukee Brewers (from Tigers for Prince Fielder) — Clint Coulter: C, Union (Wash.) HS
- 28. Milwaukee Brewers — Victor Roache: OF, Georgia Southern
- 29. Texas Rangers — Lewis Brinson: OF, Coral Springs (Fla.) HS
- 30. New York Yankees — Ty Hensley: RHP, Santa Fe (Okla.) HS
- 31. Boston Red Sox — (from Phillies for Jonathan Papelbon) — Brian Johnson: LHP, Florida