American Idol winner Phillip Phillips has been forced to postpone the latest in a long line of recent kidney surgeries after coming down with a high fever triggered by a sinus infection. In addition, he had to cancel several personal appearances, including interviews on NBC’s “Today” and ABC’s “Live With Kelly,” as well as at the American Idol Experience at Disney World in Orlando, Fl. However, he is expected to be able to join the Idols Live Tour when it kicks off on July 6th.
The tour will be in Connecticut at the Webster Bank Arena at Harbor Yards in Bridgeport on September 1, and at the Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville on September 2. For ticket information, as well as a complete list of tour dates visit http://www.americanidolstourdates.com/index.html
According to a TMZ report, Phillips’s surgery has been rescheduled for next week. Although most viewers were unaware of the fact until after the contest ended this year, Phillips underwent eight kidney surgeries to remove kidney stones too large for him to pass during the competition, and often performed him pain. The condition (in his case) is congenital. Recovery time for the surgery is estimated to take about six weeks.
Kidney stones (renal lithiasis) are hard deposits made from minerals and acids salts that often develop when “the urine becomes concentrated,” allowing them to crystallize and stick together.Passing them can be quite painful, especially for men.
For the most part, kidney stones may or may not cause signs and symptoms until they move into the ureter (the tube connecting the kidney and bladder). At that point, sufferers may begin to experience severe pain in the side and back, below the ribs which spreads to the lower abdomen and groin, as well nausea and vomiting. Patients also experience persistent urges to urinate, and pain on eliminating the urine, which may come out tinged in red, brown or pink. Fever and chills are other symptoms of an infection caused by the stones.
Although most kidney stones end up being passed normally, there are several things that can affect a person’s ability to do so. These include the “size of the person, prior stone passage, prostate enlargement, pregnancy, and the size of the stone.” For instance experts state a “4 mm stone has an 80% chance of passage while a 5 mm stone has a 20% chance.” However, kidney stones measuring 9mm-10mm rarely pass without specific treatment such as lithotripsy that uses shock waves to break them into smaller pieces that can then pass through the urinary system. When this fails, a surgeon may use an ureteroscope passed through the urethra and bladder up into the ureter to remove them.
For more information, readers should consult their own urologists. You can also contact the urology departments at Yale-New Haven Hospital, 203 688-4242, or Hartford Hospital 860 545-5000.
For a related article see http://ovalpike.com/article/modern-family-actress-sarah-hyland-gets-new-kidney-from-her-dad