With gas prices lower than expected, the time is right to indulge in a grand American tradition: the road trip. Tech savvy trippers are sure to want the latest in travel-enhancing apps and gadgets. We wouldn’t hit the road without picking up some of these great finds:
- goPoint Technology GL1 OBD-II iPhone/iPad accessory: Connect this handy device to your iPhone and your vehicle’s on board diagnostics (OBD) system to find out why your Check Engine light is on and determine if you can pull off a quick DIY fix. You can also receive recall alerts, monitor your engine performance, analyze fuel economy, and much more.
- Arkon iPad Head Rest Mount: Traveling with kids? You’ll definitely want to provide onboard entertainment to stave off spirited games of “I’m not touching you”. This nifty gadget allows you to mount your iPad to your head rest so the kids can watch Kung Fu Panda instead of reenacting it in the backseat.
- Autonet CarFi: Want your passengers to have the ability to cruise the information superhighway while you cruise along I-95? Pick up the CarFi and create a wi-fi network for your vehicle. Multiple docking stations allow you to add internet service to all your vehicles under the same subscription.
- Caffeine Zone App: If you’re pulling an all-nighter on the road, you’ll want access to this app, which tells you how much caffeine to consume for maximum alertness (and when you can expect to be able to sleep again after 5 Red Bulls and a frappucino).
- Other great apps: The Roadside America app will ensure you don’t miss your chance to see the world’s largest ball of twine and other oddities. iExit tells you where you can find clean bathrooms, a great diner, or a dog-friendly trail. WHERE helps you find places to eat and fun things to do, and the app’s recommendation engine learns your preferences over time and makes suggestions. If you’re roughing it, you can find places to pitch your tent (or park your creepy van) with the Camp & RV app, which will clue you in on everything from resorts to parking lots.
Recommend your favorite travel gadget or app in the comments below, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.