Planning a Father’s Day lunch and looking for a delicious and easy salad recipe? Sweet strawberries in both the salad and the vinaigrette make this Father’s Day salad recipe extra special.
The salad recipe calls for grapefruit sections, and you can use either fresh grapefruit sections from a large pink grapefruit or canned or jarred fruit. If using canned or jarred grapefruit that has been packed in syrup, you may wish to rinse them before using. You may also choose to substitute orange sections for grapefruit sections.
If you prefer, you may toss the strawberries, grapefruit and greens with 2 Tablespoons olive oil and 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar instead of the strawberry vinaigrette.
Strawberry citrus salad with strawberry vinaigrette recipe
Ingredients for strawberry citrus salad:
- 4 cups sliced strawberries, rinsed and hulled
- 1 cup pink grapefruit sections
- ½ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 8 cups mixed mesclun salad greens
Directions for strawberry citrus salad:
- In large bowl toss together sliced berries, grapefruit sections and assorted mesclun mix.
Ingredients for strawberry vinaigrette:
- 1 cup strawberries, rinsed and hulled
- 1 teaspoon granulated white sugar or turbinado sugar
- 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Directions for strawberry vinaigrette:
- In medium nonmetal bowl, combine strawberries with sugar and red wine vinegar and chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Once chilled, put the ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until liquefied.
- Pour liquefied mixture back into bowl. Add salt and pepper to vinaigrette to taste. Whisk in olive oil until blended.
- Chill vinaigrette in refrigerator for one hour before using.
To assemble strawberry citrus salad with strawberry vinaigrette:
- Arrange tossed salad on plates and drizzle with strawberry vinaigrette.
- Yield: 4 salad servings and 1 cup strawberry vinaigrette
Receive FREE notification whenever new recipes and food-related news are published! Click the Subscribe link found at the top of each Buffalo Cooking Examiner article.
All content published in this column (and photographs, where applicable) is under copyright and cannot be copied or reposted without prior written consent by the author. Partial reposting is permitted with a link back to the original article. For consent, questions or comments
- Follow Better Frugal Living for Families on Facebook and Rachael’s Food Buzz on Facebook. Also follow Rachael on Twitter and Pinterest