Is there such a thing as vegan chicken nuggets? Yes, there is, and the Vegan Dad has a great recipe for them.
The original recipe for vegan McChick’n Nuggets can be found on The Vegan Dad’s blog. The recipe for chick’n nuggets below is our adaptation after taste testing Gardein chick’n nuggets. We liked the Gardein chick’n nuggets, but they can be pricey.
Vegan chick’n nuggets recipe
Ingredients needed to make chick’n nuggets:
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
Ingredients needed to make breading for chicken-less nuggets:
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast, crushed between your fingers
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground flax seed
- 1½ cup rice, almond or soy milk
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
How to make chick’n nuggets:
In a large bowl, whisk together vital wheat gluten and spice.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together water and oil. Slowly add water/oil mixture to vital wheat gluten mixture, stirring to incorporate.
- At this point I use my Kitchen Aid stand mixer with the bread attachment to form the dough. To knead the dough by hand, stretch out the sides and then fold them into the center. Press down on the dough to mold back together again. This works the gluten and helps mix everything together.
- Roll dough out into a long log, about 12 to 14-inches long. Cover with a clean cotton kitchen towel and allow to rest while you mix together the coating mix.
- In a large bowl, mix together panko bread crumbs with the nutritional yeast, parsley, oregano, sea salt, turmeric and paprika. In another bowl, whisk together ground flax seed, non-dairy milk, olive oil, and vinegar.
To make the chicken-less nuggets:
- Preheat oven to 400*F.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and spray lightly with oil.
- Slice dough into 24 pieces, approximately ½-inch each. Press down on each piece a little bit to get a nugget shape. Dip each nugget into the soy milk mixture, and then lightly roll in panko bread crumb mixture. Repeat with all pieces of dough.
- Re-dip each nugget in the soy milk mixture, allowing it to soak for a second or two so that you will get a nice thick breading, and roll again in the panko bread crumb mixture. Press the nugget into the crumbs to get a nice thick coating and to maintain the nugget shape. Place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake chick’n nuggets for 10 minutes on one side, then flip over and bake for another 10 minutes. Flip again and cook for an additional 4 minutes. Flip on last time and cook for a final four minutes. This cooking method keeps the breading from browning too much.
- Serve vegan chick’n nuggets with the dipping sauces of your choice. The chick’n nuggets can be chewy when they are piping hot, but firm up nicely when they cool down for a minute.
- Yield: 4 servings
Get meatless, vegetarian and vegan recipes, information, support, and celebrity vegetarian/vegan news! Click the SUBSCRIBE link, found at the top of each Buffalo Vegan Examiner article.
Follow The Reluctant Vegan on Facebook. Also follow Rachael on Twitter and Pinterest
Partial reposting is permitted with a link back to the original article. For consent, questions or comments email email@example.com