Next year, Christie Brinkley will be entering into her fifth- yes, fifth- decade in the business of modeling, beauty and celebrity. Not many people enjoy working, let alone succeeding, that long- particularly in a cutthroat industry.
But Christie has done so with balance, a smile, and most importantly, grace. No matter what trials or roller coaster rides life has thrown at her, professionally or personally, Christie Brinkley remains the “All-American Girl,” even at age 58. She remains a great mother and hard worker. She remains a generous volunteer and strong female role model. And she also remains, of course, absolutely beautiful.
Here, Christie shares her most trusted beauty secrets.
- Christie admits that growing up in California, she was a surfer girl all the way- she basically lived on the beach. But now? “I’ve given up the sun now,” Brinkley admits. “I’ve got all the effects now [of my time in the sun.] I occasionally get hydroxy peels at the doctor’s office to reverse sun damage.” And she wears at least 20 SPF all year round.
- Though she avoids the sun as much as possible, Christie still likes to look sun-kissed, and her fave self-tanning product is L’Oreal’s Sublime Bronze products. Some of the line include cloths or mitts for applying the self-tanner without problems. “No streaking, no stripes, it just applies so easily,” she says. “It’s really just a brilliant delivery system for this product.” Another tip: mixing a bit of bronzer with her blush, she says, helps her look a bit bronzed without it looking like too much.
- Besides sun care, the one tip Christie emphasizes more than anything else is exfoliation. “When you exfoliate you will see instant improvement. Your foundation will go on so smooth, your skin will feel great.” Exfoliating skin removes dead skin cells (making skin soft and smooth) and stimulating circulation (flushing skin with oxygen and nutrients via the blood.) There are several ways to exfoliate, and Christie uses all of them. One is physical exfoliation. Christie says, “Take a rough wash cloth and throw it right on there, not wet but dry, and rub it around.” (You can also do this with wet cloths, with a loofah, or by using a somewhat rough cloth to wash your face with.) Christie also uses exfoliating scrubs. Chemical exfoliation would include certain chemical peels, facials and some anti-aging products. Once or twice per week is perfect for exfoliation of the face. Rougher areas of the body may be exfoliated more often, if desired.
- As far as products go, Christie has switched it up a lot over the years, but she has been a patient of celebrity dermatologist Dr. Patricia Wexler for 17 years. Dr. Wexler gained mainstream fame when her line of skincare products began being mass marketed at Bath & Body Works shops across the country. Christie swears by Dr. Wexler’s Instant De-Puff Eye Gel every morning. But, she says, it’s not just the product itself. “I really massage it in around my eyes because I think that massage really helps to get the fluids out of there of there.”
- Christie always wears blush. Pink tones are great for lighter skin tones, while peachy and apricot tones are perfect for darker skin tones. She says blush is a finishing touch that makes you look polished and ready to go.
- As for her gorgeous locks, Christie says she uses products that work for her hair, which you can only find through trial and error. One quick tip: Whenever you know you’ll be in the water, or the sun, put some conditioner on your hands and run it through your hair. It will protect it and keep it from drying out or looking frizzy, plus it’ll be extra soft later when you wash it.
- Finally, she doesn’t feel she can talk about her looks without mentioning her health. She is active, mixing up her exercise between yoga, walks on the beach, going to the gym, pilates and dancing. She’s also careful with food- she’s a vegetarian, but more importantly, she works to find balance in her diet, particularly by getting a lot of whole grains and beans. She also drinks alcohol very rarely. The healthier you are on the inside, the more radiant your skin and hair will be.