It was another hot one in Kansas Sunday, July 29, 2012, for the 2012 Cider Mill Century ride in Louisburg, Kansas.
The event put on by the Kansas City Metro Bicycle Club was a tour of the countryside of Miami and Linn Counties in Kansas. The ride started and ended at the Louisburg Cider Mill. The Cider Mill Century is the Kansas City Metro Bicycle Club’s premier event of the year.
HAM Radio Operators from the Amateur Radio Emergency Services kept a watchful eye with the latest GPS tracking technology on the course driving all of the distances throughout the day.
There were 25, 50, 70, and 100 mile options available. Rest stop services were available about every 10-12 miles with food and drinks. SAG support vehicles were also on the course in case riders broke down or needed a ride back to the start.
Web Site: kcmbc.org
Location: Louisburg, KS
- 25, 50, 70 or 100 miles
INDIVIDUAL ASPECTS OF THE EVENT
- Registration: Online and straight forward.
- Communication: The event organizers used the email distribution list to send out timely emails and notifications of schedules and events.
- Packet Pickup: Check in was at the Cider Mill the morning of the event. Pre-registered riders received a pint glass and riders received a map and wrist band for post ride food.
- Port-a-potties: The start/finish area sported 6 to 10 port-a-potties and 70 percent of the rest stops and aid stations were equipped with 3 to 4 port-a-potties each. Finding a place to find relief was not an issue.
- Course: The courses were marked to keep you on track for turns with instructions for turn-offs for each distance. Some turns also were equipped with volunteers instructing riders and sending riders in the right direction.
- Finish Line: The race ended at the Cider Mill and nothing was sweeter than pulling into the parking lot and getting off your bike.
- Post-Race Accommodations: Tents were set up with a meal for each rider, as much soft drinks and water as you could drink, cold wet towels and seats for all. It was a welcomed site after being out in the Kansas heat.
- Would I Come Back: Yes
- Would I Recommend to a Friend: Yes
The Cider Mill Century Ride is a very well supported event for the casual bike rider to the serious athlete looking to get their long ride in for the weekend. SAG drivers roamed the course with a ride back to the start if needed and cold fluids for those without.
Even with triple digit heat, the event was well prepared and no aid station went without ice and fluids.
Definitely consider this ride in the future if you are looking for a long ride in the summer heat.
If you would like to be notified when Ryan publishes an article, click “subscribe” below, follow his BLOG, follow him on TWITTER, find him on FACEBOOK or find him at Man Versus Triathlon.
Endurance Sports Examiner
Kansas City Endurance Sports Examiner
Kansas City German Shepherd Examiner
Kansas Jayhawk Basketball Examiner
General Pets Examiner
Fitness and Exercise Examiner
Outdoor Rec and Adventure Examiner
Recreational Sports Examiner