Yesterday, June 8, was World Oceans Day, and all around the world the event was celebrated to honor the world’s oceans, and the products the ocean gives us such as seafood and marine life for aquariums and pets. As well as celebrating its products, environmentalists around the world continue to fight against global pollution and the over consumption of marine life that result to the destruction and dwindling population of marine species.
In honor of this day, you can help spread awareness of the crucial role the ocean has in our daily lives, as well as the important ways that we can help in this fight.
Why help? – Not only is the ocean the one in charge for generating most of the oxygen that we breathe; the ocean also helps feed us, regulates our climate, cleans the water we drink and provides us with a vast resource for medicines.
There are many ways for us to give back to the ocean. There are beach cleanups, awareness projects that we can join or causes that we can donate to. Little things we can do that can be very helpful are:
1. Recycling or buying reusable plastic products – Plastic debris in the ocean is a major factor to the destruction of marine habitats and species. Help minimize the destruction by using reusable products such as water bottles and food containers, or use cloth bags when doing your grocery shopping.
2. Reducing energy use – Carbon dioxide from fossil fuels is another contributor to the ocean’s acidity, which results in further destruction of marine life as well as harming our climate. One way to help is to reduce our own use of fuel and energy, be it by using public transportation, car-pooling, walking or riding a bike. Another known method is by lessening your electricity consumption. You can do so by using energy-efficient appliances in your home, turning them off when not in use, or simply by using fluorescent light bulbs.
There are so many ways to help our oceans and those listed above are just a few of them. And to honor World Ocean Day, here are five eco-friendly products that will not only help the environment, but can also be chic additions to your home and lifestyle!
1. The Sigg Eco-Friendly Water Bottles
Voted by Time Magazine as one of the Top 5 Eco-Friendly Water Bottles, this bottle is guaranteed to be ecologically sound, reusable and easily recycled. What’s more, they come in very chic designs so they’re perfect to use everywhere you may go! – www.mysigg.com
2. The Electrolux Vac From The Sea
These trendy and sustainable vacuum cleaners are made from the plastic waste that pollutes our world’s oceans. Not only does this vacuum clean using 50% less power than the average vacuum cleaner, these vacuums come in cute and trendy designs that will fit right into your abode! – www.electroluxusa.com
3. Eco-Friendly Natural Cleaners & Disinfectants
Use eco-friendly cleaning products to get your home in squeaky clean! These cleaning products from Whyte Gate Farms use natural substances as their active cleaning ingredients rather than toxic chemicals! – www.whytegate.com
4. Tru Melange Beeswax and Soy Blended Candles
Use these eco-friendly aromatherapy candles to light up your apartment for those romantic date nights at home! As well as being romantic, you can save electricity too! – www.trumelange.com
5. Use Eco-Friendly Light Bulbs!
The ultimate in energy saving, choose eco-friendly light bulbs such as CFL (compact fluorescent) or LED lights. These light babies are affordable but most importantly, use even less energy and lasts longer than your average light bulbs! These light energy savers are available everywhere.