Whether you are interested in bluegrass music, butterflies, owls, Victorian high-wheelers, hayrides, something as quaint as a quoits tournament or as adventurous as World War II battle skirmishes, here is a handy print-and-take list for your July activities.
Briggs Farm Blues Festival – Music, camping, vendors, hayrides
- July 6-7
- Place: 88 Old Berwick Highway, Nescopeck
- Information: 570-379-2003
Butterfly House opens
- July 8
- Hours: Mondays through Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.; Sundays from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Place: Creekside Gardens, Route 29, Tunkhannock
- Tickets: adults $3, children three and up $1
- Information: 570-836-3595
- Web: http://www.creeksidegardens.com
St. Joseph’s Center Summer Festival – Kids’ games, food, vendors; proceeds benefit the developmentally disabled, pregnant women and young families; sponsored by St. Joseph’s Auxiliary
- July 14
- Place: Marywood University Campus, Scranton
- To volunteer, to sponsor a booth or for information: 570-963-1290
World War II Living History – Battle skirmishes, displays, lectures and camps; veterans are invited to attend and share their stories
- July 14, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Place: Old Mill Village Museum, New Milford
- Tickets: $5 for ages 12 and over
Live Owls – Great horned owl, barn owl and screech owl from Carbon County Environmental Education Center
- July 15, 1:30 p.m.
- Place: Wild Birds Unlimited, Dallas Shopping Center, Dallas
- Information: 570-675-9900
28th Annual Frontier Days Celebration – Benton Area Rodeo Association horse show, barrel racing, rodeo, bull-a-rama, fireworks
- July 17-22, opens 5 p.m.
- Place: Benton
- Information: 570-925-6536
Iron Heritage Festival – Live music, parade, period costumes and craft demonstrations, lectures, tennis tournament, quoits tournament, outhouse dig, polka party, Victorian high- wheelers, multiple activities
- July 20-22
- Place: Mill Street, Danville
- Information and ticket information: 570-275-6700
Celebrate Our River Day – Live music, environmental activities, kayak river float, nature walks, multiple activities; sponsored by Overlook Estate Foundation
- July 28, 3 – 8 p.m.
- Place: Riverside Park, Tunkhannock
- Information: Wyoming County Cultural Center at the Dietrich Theater, Tunkhannock
- Information: 570-996-1500
- Preregistration for kayak river float at Endless Mountain Outfitters: 570-746-9140
- Email questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please ‘like’ and ‘subscribe’ for more from your Scranton Places and Faces Examiner.