Whether you prefer yours plain, glazed or filled with ooey gooey deliciousness, this special holiday is all about that sweet treat Americans love to eat. Hip hip hooray, it’s National Donut (Doughnut) Day! Whether you spell it “donut” or “doughnut,” this year’s event takes place on June 1, 2012, so be sure to mark it on your calendar.
National Doughnut Day History
This annual food holiday, observed every year on the first Friday in June, was created by the Chicago Salvation Army back in 1938 as a fund-raiser. The event was also created to honor the “Doughnut Lassies,” a very special group of very special gals who volunteered their time preparing and/or serving homemade donuts and coffee to the soldiers on the front line during World War I. And believe it or not, those donuts were actually made in steel helmets!
America Celebrates National Donut Day with FREE Donuts
Today, numerous restaurants and businesses honor the annual holiday by serving up free or discounted deals on donuts.
- Dunkin’ Donuts – Participating Dunkin’ Donuts in the United States will be servin’ up free donuts on June 1st in honor of National Doughnut Day. Just purchase any beverage and receive a free donut of your choice. Yay!
- Krispy Kreme – Krispy Kreme is celebrating its 75th birthday this year. Customers will receive a free doughnut of any variety at participating Krispy Kreme locations on June 1st. Limit one per customer. And be sure to add your birthday wishes on the interactive birthday ecard and/or share your favorite Krispy Kreme memory online too.
- Shipley Donuts – Get one free donut at participating locations from 5:00 A.M. to noon on June 1st, 2012.
- Bearscat Bakehouse – Bearscat Bakehouse, formerly known as The Donut Hole in Bismarck, will be giving away free donuts in honor of the event, too.
- LaMar’s Donuts – Once again, LaMar’s Donuts will be offering free donuts in honor of National Donut Day, with a twist. Just stop by your local LaMar’s and get a free donut when you make a donation to the Salvation Army.
- Tim Horton’s – Participating Tim Horton’s in the United States is also getting in on the sweet action by giving away free donuts with this printable Facebook coupon. (Make sure to “like” them first.) One coupon per guest.
- Entenmann’s is holding a National Donut Day Sweepstakes in honor of National Donut Day. Here’s your chance to win FREE donuts for an entire YEAR! But hurry – the contest ends on June 1st. No purchase is necessary to enter. The Grand Prize drawing will be held on June 30, 2012.
- The Champaign County Library will be kicking off its Summer Reading Program and will be serving up free coffee and donuts from 6:00 A.M. until noon.
Note – not all locations may be participating in the free donut giveaway. Please check the vendor’s website for specific details in your area.
Special National Donut Day Events
- 75th Annual Donut Day – Entenmann’s, KISS FM Radio and the Salvation Army will all be celebrating Donut Day in Chicago in a big way this weekend, on June 1st and June 2, 2012. Special “taggers” will be giving out special commemorative Donut Day tags to folks who make donations to folks in need.
- Free Donut Day Concert – And speaking of the Windy City, be sure to stop by the Free Donut Day Concert in Millennium Park on Friday, June 1st, from 10:00 A.M. to 2:00 P.M.
- Donut Pizza Eating Contest – Psycho Donuts Campbell is hosting its 3rd Annual Donut Pizza Eating Contest the day after National Donut Day, on Saturday, June 2nd beginning at 2:00.
Special Donut Recipes
- Salvation Army Lassie’s Doughnuts – Check out the original recipe just like the Lassies used to make.
- Krispy Kreme Copycat Doughnuts – If you love Krispy Kreme, and who doesn’t, check out this killer copycat recipe.
Leave your “dough” at home and enjoy a free donut! Pass it on!
Besides free donuts, it’s also National Go Barefoot Day, Heimlich Maneuver Day and National Leave the Office Earlier Day.