This past Saturday, I attended the Kids Day of Play at College of the Canyons. It was fun to see so many Santa Clarita vendors represented who has the growth of our children in mind. With summer creeping up real fast, there were lots of summer camps being advertised at this event. There are so many to pick from, it is overwhelming.
Why bother with summer camps?
· Summer could be a great time to either get ahead or catch up academically if you were too busy all semester with other activities and the right summer camp can help with that.
· It could also create a social outlet during the summer months when we might not see our friends regularly at classes or co-ops.
· For other families, it could be great way to try something that they might want to pursue in the fall, for example, C.A.R.E. will be offering a private school and homeschool program in the fall (more about that in another article soon). So a few days at their camp, might give you a good idea of how things are done there. The same is true of Canyon Theater Guild, which also offers homeschool workshops during the semesters. By trying it out in the summer, you can get a feel for how it might fit into your fall schedule.
· It could just be something fun to do during the summer!
Here are some of my favorite camps for this summer. Feel free to comment if you know of others so everyone can benefit
1. C.A.R.E. Learning Academy in Canyon Country specializes in providing kids with bridge activities to get ready for the next school year in the morning part of their camp. Then they have enrichment classes in the afternoons. What I really like about their camp is the emphasis on fieldtrips and volunteer opportunities and the flexibility they offer. Click here to see some things people say about their camp from last year. The flexibility is great, because you can sign up for as many days a week as you want, or just random days, or even just half days. Their prices are extremely reasonable as well. If you register by May 1, you also get a discount.
2. New Edge Academy is offering some cool Science camps, from Astronomy to A Week at the Spa, as well as a Myth, Magic & Mystery camp. Lots more details are available here.
3. Learn Beyond the Book is offering several Finance & Entrepreneur workshops (in Glendale, Canyon Country and even online) as well as a few Games Beyond the Box days. Click here for more details.
4. Canyon Theater Guild in Newhall is one of our favorite theater programs and they offer a few summer camps as well. See what they have to offer for all different age groups!
5. For the slightly older crowd of kids, E.S.C.A.P.E. theater offers a camp called Little Shop of Horrors to prepare for a great show with lots of fun music and dances too! This is geared to students finishing up 6th grade and up. They start rehearsing this Thurs. night from 6:45-8:15pm. Performances are July 27-29. They rehearse at their studio, 26639 Valley Center Drive, Suite 109, Canyon Country. Call Elizabeth Burson in the office with any questions or to sign up at 661-299-5264.
6. If you live a little further away, you could take advantage of Camp Spin-off in Ojai, CA where kids learn all kinds of cool DJ skills which could be combined with the knowledge they gain from the Finance/Entrepreneur camp from Learn Beyond the Book to start their own business!
7. Santa Clarita has tons more to offer. Check your Seasons magazine for more options, if you are in search of a different kind of summer camp!
If you would like to be notified of future articles, please subscribe above.