Here’s the scoop – June 4 is National Frozen Yogurt Day in the U.S.A! Sweet! Frozen yogurt is so popular, it is celebrated twice a year – today and also on February 6.
This cool and creamy food holiday celebrates the delicious frozen “dessert” that can be enjoyed all year ‘round. Similar to ice cream, frozen yogurt (froyo) is often touted as a healthier alternative to ice cream. It’s a great source of calcium and protein and not only does it taste great, froyo is usually lower in fat compared to ice cream.
With summer unofficially underway, who needs an excuse to enjoy in a little sweet delight?
Frozen Yogurt Tips
- How to Make Homemade Frozen Yogurt – Just in case you’ve never made homemade yogurt before, learn how it’s done.
- How to Make Ice Cream Without a Machine – Making homemade ice cream or frozen yogurt at home usually requires a special machine. David Lebovitz shares his no machine secrets with you.
Gourmet Frozen Yogurt Recipes
- Chocolate Frozen Yogurt – OMG! You don’t need an ice cream maker to whip up this divine dish. This recipe calls for bittersweet chocolate, vanilla extract, raw cane sugar, cocoa powder, crème fraiche or heavy cream and plain Greek yogurt.
- Chocolate Frozen Yogurt – Good news chocolate lovers. You don’t need to have an ice cream maker for this recipe either! This recipe calls for cornstarch, granulated sugar, fat-free evaporated milk, lowfat yogurt, vanilla extract and semisweet chocolate chips.
- Chocolate Frozen Yogurt with Caramelized Bananas – Greek yogurt is the key to this rich and creamy recipe.
- Homemade Low-fat Vanilla Bean Frozen Yogurt – This recipe, from Skinny Taste, calls for whole-milk yogurt, plain fat-free Greek yogurt, a vanilla bean, sugar, honey and fresh fruit.
- Vanilla Frozen Yogurt – This version of David Lebovitz’s recipe, rivals Pinkberry’s froyo!
- Almost Famous Frozen Yogurt – This 5-star recipe has got to be famous now!
- Blueberry Frozen Yogurt – Fair warning – this recipe looks fab-u-lous!
- Cherry Cheesecake Frozen Yogurt – This 5-star recipe calls for cream cheese, white sugar, lemon juice, fresh cherries and plain Greek yogurt.
- Gingersnap Banana Frozen Yogurt – You’ll need vanilla frozen yogurt, gingersnap cookies, a couple bananas and some toasted pecans for this simple dish.
- Strawberry Frozen Yogurt – This 5-star recipe, from the Neelys, calls for sugar, lemon zest and juice, fresh strawberries, plain whole-milk Greek yogurt, a vanilla bean and rum! Yum!
- Strawberry Frozen Yogurt – This amazing strawberry froyo recipe, which includes vodka or kirsch, is from David Lebovitz. Besides the booze, ingredients include strawberries, sugar, plain whole milk yogurt and fresh lemon juice.
- Patriotic Frozen Delight – Perfect for patriotic holidays, this red, white and blue recipe calls for a can of sweetened condensed milk, lemon juice and peel, plain yogurt, mini-marshmallows, pecans and fresh strawberries and blueberries.
- Peach Frozen Yogurt – You’ll need frozen peaches, sugar, nonfat plain yogurt and lemon juice for this recipe. You can substitute other frozen fruit instead of peaches if you’d like.
- Pumpkin Frozen Yogurt – Pumpkin lovers will love this recipe that includes brandy!
- Frozen Yogurt Squares – You’ll need plain yogurt, strawberry-flavored gelatin mix and boiling water for this recipe.
- Yogurt Bar Pops – Kids of all ages will love this 5-star recipe from Paula Deen.
Just remember to eat slowly – to avoid brain freeze! Happy National Frozen Yogurt Day! June 4th is also Old Maid’s Day, National Cheese Day and National Cognac Day.