Although the Rolling Stones have announced that they won’t be touring in 2012 to celebrate the band’s 50th anniversary, there are other things related to the anniversary that are being offered to Rolling Stones fans. (The releases listed here are legal but most are not authorized/endorsed by the Rolling Stones.)
In June 2012, the Rolling Stones unveiled a new logo to commemorate the band’s 50th anniversary. The Rolling Stones 50th anniversary logo (which accompanies this article) was designed by Shepard Fairey, and it is a variation of the original Rolling Stones “tongue and lips” logo that was designed by John Pasche in 1971. Fairey also designed the album cover for the 2011 self-titled debut album from SuperHeavy, the band that consists of Rolling Stones lead singer Mick Jagger, Eurythmics co-founder Dave Stewart, Joss Stone, Damian Marley and “Slumdog Millionaire” composer A.R. Rahman
Here is a list of releases related to the Rolling Stones’ 50th anniversary. Those that have an asterisk have been officially authorized/endorsed by the Rolling Stones. Most of the books are photo books. Upcoming release dates are subject to change.
- “The Rolling Stones: 50” by Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts and Ron Wood (U.S. release: October 30, 2012; U.K. release: July 12, 2012)*
- “The Rolling Stones: 50 Years of Rock ‘n’ Roll” by Editors of Life (U.S. release: May 15, 2012; U.K. release: June 13, 2012)
- “Rolling Stones 50 x 20” by Chris Murray, Chris Salewicz and Richard Harrington (U.S. release: September 18, 2012; U.K. release: August 14, 2012)
- “Rolling Stones: 50 Years of Rock” by Howard Kramer (U.S. release: October 10, 2011; U.K. release: October 29, 2011)
- “50 Licks: Myths and Stories from Half a Century of the Rolling Stones” by Bernard M. Corbett and Peter Fornatale (U.S. and U.K. release: February 19, 2013)
- “The Rolling Stones: Fifty Years” by Christopher Sandford (U.S. release: September 1, 2012; U.K. release: April 26, 2012)
- “The Rolling Stones: Complete Recording Sessions 1962-2012: 50th Anniversary Edition” by Martin Elliott (U.S. release: November 1, 2012; U.K. release: July 12, 2012)
- “The Rolling Stones: Views from the Inside, Views from the Outside” by Hanspeter Künzler [Available as eBook only.] (U.S. release: July 10, 2012)
- A movie (title to be announced) directed by Brett Morgen will have a limited release in cinemas in September 2012, on a date to be announced. The movie will be released on DVD/Blu-ray by Eagle Rock Entertainment in October or November 2012, on a date to be announced.*
- There is an unconfirmed rumor that there will be a made-for-TV Rolling Stones 50th anniversary documentary, but so far there has been no information about this project.
- “The Rolling Stones” – May 3 to June 3, 2012, at the Analogue Gallery, 673 Queen Street West in Toronto.
- “Rolling Stones: Celebrating 50 Years in Photography” – May 4 to May 31, 2012, at the Morrison Hotel Gallery, 124 Prince Street in New York City.
- “Jim Marshall: The Rolling Stones and Beyond” – July 5 to September 8, 2012, at the Steven Kasher Gallery, 521 West 23rd Street in New York City.
- “The Rolling Stones: 50” – July 13 to August 27, 2012, at Somerset House, south side of the Strand, Convent Garden, in London.
*This product is officially authorized and endorsed by the Rolling Stones.