The following is a collection of recent San Jose beer news and a list of craft beer events in San Jose and the greater South Bay for the upcoming week and beyond. As events may change from time to time, please do check with the establishment directly, especially if you are extra excited about a particular event.
Recent beer news
- A successful launch party featuring the new limited release Gordon Biersch Imperial Pilsner Brau (6.5% ABV, 50 IBU) took place this past week at the Gordon Biersch brewery and bottling facility in San Jose with co-founder Dan Gordon. “This is an intensely hopped, robust Pilsner that emphasizes the noble hops from central Europe including Hallertau, Tettnang, Spalt and Saaz. It has been brewed in accordance with the German Purity Law of 1516. Our IPB is naturally carbonated and unfiltered.”
- Los Gatos Brewing Company and brewmaster Kent Wheat hosted the inaugural Los Gatos Brewing Company Firkin Fest 2012 at their San Pedro Square location in San Jose yesterday, June 16, 2012. The heat did not deter people from coming out to enjoy fresh beer. A huge turnout had the opportunity to sample beer from nine breweries, including Tied House, Hermitage, Magnolia, Drake’s, Strike, Los Gatos Brewing, Seabright, FireHouse, and Faultline at Los Gatos Brewing’s outdoor patio.
Beer events this upcoming week
- Mon., June 18, 2012, 5 p.m. – 10 p.m.: San Jose’s Wine Affairs releases Parabola from Firestone Walker. 1435 The Alameda, 408-977-0111. “The most aggressive beer from their Proprietor’s Reserve Series, the 2012 Parabola is a bourbon-barrel aged Imperial Stout released just last month. We have 24 bottles and one keg we’ve been hoarding for this special occasion. Keg will be tapped at 5pm sharp and bottles will be available all day! To-go and club discounts apply. Three bottle limit per customer.”
- Tues., June 19, 2012, 6 p.m. – 8 p.m.: Rock Bottom Campbell taps their Summer Honey Ale. Passed appetizers, $3 Summer Honey Ales, keep the glass (while supplies last), and meet and greet with the brewmaster.
- Tues., June 19, 2012, 6 p.m. – 8 p.m.: Gordon Biersch San Jose taps their limited time Summerbrau, “a golden, refreshing Kölsch-style beer from Cologne, with just a hint of fruitiness.” Live music on their patio and complimentary passed appetizers.
- Tues., June 19, 2012, 4 p.m. – closing: The Counter Santana Row, offers a “Mix-It-Up” 4 mini burger & beer pairings, including Devil’s Canyon Full Boar Scotch Ale and Lagunitas IPA. 3055 Olin Ave., 408-423-9200.
- Wed., June 20, 2012, 6 p.m. – 9 p.m.: Catch live music and good beer at Poor House Bistro with “Blues & $2 Brews” featuring Knee Deep Brewing Company. 91 South Autumn Street, 408-292-5837.
- Thurs., June 21, 2012, starting at 6:00 p.m.: Harry’s Hofbrau in San Jose hosts their weekly Pint Night. Check the Harry’s Hofbrau Facebook page for updates. 390 Saratoga Ave., 408-243-0434.
- Thurs., June 21, 2012, starting at 6 p.m.: Jack’s Bar & Lounge in Japantown offers up their weekly $2 Pint Night. Check the Jack’s Bar & Lounge Facebook page for updates. 167 East Taylor St., 408-287-5225.
- Fri., June 22, 2012: BevMo! stores host weekly Beer Tasting events on Fridays. Check your local BevMo! store for details.
Looking ahead: Save the date
- Sat., June 30, 2012, 12:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.: The 3rd Annual Santa Cruz Hop N’ Barley Festival takes place in Scotts Valley.
- Sat., July 21, 2012, 12 p.m. – 8 p.m.: The Summer KraftBrew Beer Fest 2012 will take place in downtown San Jose on Post Street between Market and South First Streets.
To let me know about the latest and upcoming San Jose and South Bay beer news and events, please comment below or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you enjoyed this article and would like to receive updates whenever a new article is published, please click on the subscribe link near the top of this article. To get updates via Twitter, follow me at @gratefulhubby. Please drink good beer responsibly. Cheers! Prost! Gun bae!