If the lines to see The Avengers this weekend at the AMC Loews Theatre in Cherry Hill are any indication, movies, especially those featuring heroes, will be a top pastime of summer. Unfortunately, for a family of four, it can also be the most expensive.
However, there are ways to save.
First, all families could become members of the AMC Stubs rewards program. Members earn a $10 reward for every $100 spent at AMC theaters. The card also allows members to get free concession upgrades. Membership is only $12 a year.
When taking advantage of the popcorn upgrade, parents should ask the crew member for an additional bag for sharing. That way, parents can divide the popcorn accordingly for the children to share.
Going earlier in the day can also save families money. At the Cherry Hill theater, adult tickets are only $6 before noon and $9 before 4 p.m. Regular adult tickets are $11.
While the summer movie season is just beginning, families should also plan a budget and determine how many movies they can afford to see throughout the summer. This way, families can decide which movies they want to see in the theater and which movies they can wait to see on DVD.
Upcoming Summer Hero Movies:
- Battleship, May 18
- Men in Black III, May 25
- Snow White and the Huntsman, June 1
- GI Joe: Retaliation, June 29
- The Amazing Spider-Man, July 3
- The Dark Knight Rises, July 20
Other Summer Movies for Families:
- Yellow Submarine, May 10
- Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted, June 8
- Ice Age: Continental Drift, July 13
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days, August 3
Many movies are offered in 3D or IMAX 3D, but those movies cost up to $17 for an adult ticket. Families that wish to save money should not upgrade for these extra effects.
For those who want to see a movie, but think their children are not ready for the experience, the Cherry Hill AMC Loews has Bring Your Baby Matinees the first Tuesday of every month. For these events, the lights are a brighter, the sound is lower and there’s stroller parking. It’s also a crying-child-friendly environment, so parents are less likely to feel they wasted their money on a movie they only saw part of because they had to leave for their child.
South Jersey Movie Theaters:
- AMC Loews Cherry Hill 24, Rt. 38
- AMC Marlton 8, Rt. 73
- AMC Deptford 8, Clements Bridge Rd.
- AMC Deptford Mall 6, Deptford Center Rd.
- Cinemark 16, Cooper Towne Center, Somerdale
- Rave Motion Pictures Ritz 16, Haddonfield-Berlin Rd., Voorhees
- Regal Burlington Stadium 20, Bromley Blvd.
- Regal Cross Keys Stadium 12, American Blvd., Turnersville
- UA Washington Township 14, Tuckahoe Rd., Sewell
- (The theater at the Moorestown Mall is closed for renovations until Summer 2013)
Enjoy this article? Receive email alerts when new articles are available. Just click on the “Subscribe” link above. On Facebook, “like” South Jersey Frugal Family Examiner for updates and reminders.