It is summertime in Boston. Temperatures are on the rise and so is the humidity. It is too hot to cook dinner so serve up this delicious, refreshing salad for dinner tonight.
Hearty salads are a great meal choice when the weather is hot and sticky. Be sure to add plenty of protein-filled additives to help satiate a hearty appetite. Meat, poultry, seafood (shrimp or tuna), eggs, garbanzo beans, nuts, tofu and cheese are great choices to add into a salad.
Summertime fruited turkey salad
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks
- 2 cups cooked turkey, cubed*
- 1 apple, thinly sliced
- 1 cup seedless red or green grapes, halved
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- Lettuce leaves or radicchio (adds nice color)
- 1/4 cup coconut, toasted
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise; light mayonnaise works well
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Drain pineapple, reserving 2 tablespoons juice.
- In a large bowl, combine pineapple chunks, turkey, apple grapes, celery, onions and walnuts.
- Dressing: In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, brown sugar, curry powder, salt and reserved pineapple juice.
- Fold dressing into turkey mixture.
- Spoon salad mixture into lettuce leaves. Sprinkle with coconut. Serve immediately.
*Substitute chicken, if preferred. Use a store-bought rotisserie turkey breast or chicken for super easy preparation.