Want a fast workout that incorporates both cardio and strength training? Then look no further. Listed below is a routine with six different exercises guaranteed to tighten and tone all the right areas in less than twelve minutes. Complete this routine (or a comparable one) 3-5 days a week and you will be “beach ready” in no time.
Perform each exercise for fifty seconds, followed by a ten second rest, then straight to the next exercise. Do two rounds of this circuit. This is a form of interval training that allows for an elevated heart rate and excellent muscle production, with minimum rest which enables the entire workout to be completed in a very short amount of time.
50:10 interval time:
1. Plank/10 knees to elbows/10 pushups – Start in the pushup position. Bring one knee up to touch the same side elbow, alternate your knees. As soon as you have done 10 reps, immediately perform 10 pushups. Continue this routine for 50 seconds.
2. Burpees – Start standing. Place both hands on the floor in front of your feet. Hop both feet back so that you are in a pushup position. Immediately hop your feet back in to where they started and stand up. That is one completed burpee; continue this for the fifty second interval.
3. Plank for 10 seconds/ pushups for 10 seconds – Start holding a plank for 10 seconds then immediately do as many pushups as you can in the next 10 seconds. Continue alternating back and forth for the total fifty seconds.
4. Mountain climbers – Once again start in a pushup position. Start by pulling one knee in at a time in a quick “running” manner. Maintain this speed and form for fifty seconds.
5. Squat jumps – Do a body squat (watch your knees, make sure they stay behind your toes), from the bottom position of the squat explode up in a jump. Do as many as you can complete in fifty seconds.
6. High knees while holding a weight – This exercise is simple. Just run in place by pulling your knees up to your chest to incorporate core activation while holding a weight either at your chest or above your head. For fifty seconds. Repeat exercises 1-6 once more to complete this workout.
In order for this routine to produce results you must push yourself during each exercise. Do not “save” energy for the last round. By exerting your utmost effort each time you will maximize caloric expenditure and heighten metabolic rates throughout the rest of the day. In other words, give this workout all you have and you will be a calorie burning machine for the rest of the day; and swimsuit ready in no time!