Summer is in full swing and the Humboldt Arts Council (HCA) is providing all sorts of activities to the public throughout the entire month of July. Taking place at the Morris Graves Museum of Art on F Street in Eureka, HCA always has something going on for kids and grown-ups alike. Whether you want to quietly walk through the various galleries and look at the exhibits or hang out with the kids creating works of art, the Morris Graves is the answer. Here is what’s going on for the month of July.
Independence Day events in Humboldt County
- The Youth Gallery is showing works by students of the MGMA Art School through July 29. The various works of art were created during the 2011-2012 session of classes.
- In the Atrium Gallery, visitors can enjoy works by the museum’s namesake, Morris Graves. Several of the artist’s works from the Humboldt Arts Council’s permanent collection are on display. The exhibit also includes an interactive CD-ROM which allows visitors to view see more works by the artist, tour his Loleta studio and hear interviews from Graves’ colleagues and friends.
- Mary Ann Nardo, “Orchid Dreams, Wild Places” This exhibit will be shown through July 22. Several paintings of various types of orchids are on display. The artist has studied orchids extensively and believes they represent “the most beautifully voluptuous, alarming, and foreign forms in the plant world. Making paintings involves taking a journey where the un-familiar becomes familiar; this series of paintings is no exception.”
- 26th Annual Images of Water-California Statewide Photography Competition and Exhibition is continuing through July 15. This exhibit showcases the serious, dangerous, fun and necessary aspects of water in all its various forms.
- KEET’s Kids Club, Saturday July 7, 12:00-2:00 p.m. This program provides kids and their families with a connection to literature and art. July’s book is “The Art Lesson” by award-winning author Tomie dePaola. In addition to having the book read and participating in their own art lesson, each family will take home a copy of July’s book.
- Arts Alive! Saturday, July 7, 6:00-9:00 p.m. Seabury Gould & Eddie Guthman will be performing music from around the world during this city-wide event. They have recorded six albums together and play such instruments as the Irish bouzouki, acoustic bass and bamboo flute.
- Second Saturday Family Arts Day, Saturday, July 14, 2:00-4:00 p.m. This month in conjunction with the “Images of Water” exhibit, families will have the opportunity to create various water-themed works of art.
- Open Jazz Jam Session, Sunday, July 15, 2:00-4:30 p.m. Jill Petricca is the featured musician this month. She is Director of Subito Music Ensembles and plays the flute and saxophone.
- Art Talk Sunday, Sunday, July 22, 2:00 p.m. This free event includes tea and the opportunity to talk to docents while touring all the various exhibits the Morris Graves Museum is responsible for.
To stay informed of all the Humboldt news and information unique to the area, make sure to subscribe to the Humboldt County Buzz column and receive notification by email each time a new article is published.