What are magical tools and supplies?
Every Wiccan needs magickal tools and supplies to help with their rituals. Tools and supplies are used to help gather and direct energy gathered with completing a magickal ritual or work. There are 3 differences between a magickal tool and a magickal supply.
- Magickal tools are used during most rituals and spells. Supplies vary, based on the requirements of a specific spell or ritual.
- Magickal tools are used over and over for each ritual and spell. This lets them retain residual energy and power that will help the next ritual and spell. Supplies are consumed in part or in whole with each ritual or spell.
- Although magickal tools can be bought at any store, most Wiccans like to make them or buy handmade items. The creation of a magickal tools can be a ritual or magickal work in and of itself. Supplies are usually bought, though they can be grown or found items.
These are some of the magickal tools needed for general spells and rituals:
- Bell – The bell is used to for its vibrations in magickal works and spells.
- Book of Shadows – This is the magickal book containing all the rituals and spells.
- Broom – The broom is used during a ritual to sweep away negative energy and prepare the ritual space.
- Cauldron – The cauldron is used to make potions and brews. It also represents the element of fire.
- Censer – This is an incense burner. It also represents the element of air.
- Crystal Ball – This is a divination tool and sometimes represents the Goddess.
- Cup – The cup represents the Goddess and fertility during a ritual. It also represents the element of water.
- Magick Knife (or Athame) – The Athame represents the God during a ritual.
- Pentacle – This is an instrument of protection and represents the element of earth.
- Wand – This is a tool used during an invocation. It is also used to direct energy.
- White Handled Knife (or Bolline) – This is the practical knife for cutting ingredients, inscribing symbols or carving wands.
Some supplies that could also be needed:
- Candle – Candles are used to represent a variety of different emotions depending on its color.
- Salt – Used to draw the circle of protection.
- Herbs – Different herbs are used for potions and to represent different parts of the magickal work.
- Paper – Paper or parchment is used to write down parts of the ritual that are then burned by the candle so negative energy or issues are burnt away.
- Crystals – Infuse crystals to stockpile energy for bigger rituals. Different crystals represent different types of rituals.
- Gems – As with crystals, using gems is a pricier way to reserve energy during a ritual or spell.
- Bottles/Jars – Holds potions or spell ingredients.
- Feather – Used with divination and wish magick.
- Food or Drink – Food and drink are used during the thanksgiving part of the ritual. Also, they can be used to represent the God and Goddess depending on the type of food or drink.
- Incense – Used to smudge the air to take away negative energy.
- Anything that represents the magickal work – As part of the magickal work or spell, anything that represents what the Wiccan is trying to achieve can be used as part of the spell.
There are many other things that can be used as part of rituals and spells. Finding what works for the individual Wiccan takes a lifetime of study. Take a look around and see what items, tools or supplies can be found. Use them and see what happens. If they don’t work, change them or find something else.
For more information, click here.