For whatever reason you did it, you overindulged yourself on the triple chocolate chip pecan and marshmallow cookies and ate the left over pizza from that famous favorite pizza restaurant, that is so expensive you don’t even eat there as often as you would like, and now your stomach and you are paying for it. You are over full and feeling guilty and remorseful about your lack of concern for your nutrition.
The stomach awkwardness will not leave until all of the food you ate is digested. Do not lay down, do not stop and collect two-hundred dollars, and do not put yourself in jail over your overindulgence. First things first, do you have gas and bloating, also known as indigestion, do not reach for the antacids they will slow down or completely stop digestion and if you are feeling miserable inside and out this is a big no-no. Keep reading.
Next maybe you are depressed over a sudden loss of a relationship and you think it calls for a gallon of chunky monkey and one or two of your favorite tear jerking movies about a love and relationship gone wrone and there will be crying. While this may have worked in the past it ill satisfy nothing right now to fill the great big hole you are feeling in your gut and your heart. Get out of the house and walk, not to another grocery or restaurant but in the park and at least one mile to burn calories and a change-of-heart. You will get a change of scenery, brighten your inner gloom, indigestion will stop, and you will drop some of those calories you just inhaled to stop your bleeding heart.
Emotional eating is one of the hardest addictions to kick, especially if you pride yourself on your extreme emotional outbursts, and use them to judge the world and the people you are in involved with by. Getting a handle on your emotions is the first key, they do pass with some time and they do not last for days. If they do last for days this is something that really needs you to dig in deeper and look at to do some “inner” work or you may want to look at counseling and seek help for the anger and resentments you are holding on to. Healthy release and forgiveness is the another clue to finding your own center, and moving on. Let by-gones be by-gones, they are called that for a reason too, it is in the past now move it.
Here are a few ideas to get your creative imagination flowing and out of the “dumper” zone:
- Crank up your stereo and sing along, or use headphones. Music is know to soothe the savage beast and your emotions are raging right now.
- What is your hobby? Don’t have one, then get one now. Take up painting, dancing, model trains, planes and automobiles, or get outside and hike or actually go mountain climbing with lessons frst.
- Meditate. It calms and you will find answers to your issues you never even thought of before and because this information is coing from a higher source than your ego, the tips you receive actually work to making some much needed change.
- Call a caring friend and vent.
- Write it all out in your journal, and really get it all out and off of your chest. What, you don’t have one, then that is something else you can go and do right now, buy one or make one.
- Volunteer, helping others is actually one of the best ways to heal yourself. See if a hospital near you has a baby holding program, they are not just crack babies, sometimes the parents live out of town or state and this is the nearest place for them to get help for their loved one and they can not be there for financial or other reasons. The parents will love you for it. Start a community garden, read books to children at the library or go get your sister’s kids and take them out once a week to do nothing but have fun doing kid “stuff.”
A healthy release and helping others is a meaningful way to get past the pain. Many people start whole movements and become an activist based on the pain they are going through. Keep your chin up and shut the refrigerator now and get out of the kitchen.
To get the latest updates from Atlanta Holistic Health Examiner ‘click’ the subscribe button above.